Several studies have been published in recent years, on the topic of Standing Desks and how their use can affect your health. Overall, stand-up desks show dramatic improvements in several areas of health. Listed below are just a few:
1. Improved neck, shoulder, and back pain. – Improvement is seen within just a few weeks and that improvement is often reversed within 2 weeks of removal of the desk.
2. Improved overall Well-Being; less fatigue, increased vigor, and energy throughout the day, less depression and anxiety. Overall mood decreased with the removal of the desk.
3. Sitting less than 3 hours per day raises average life expectancy by 2 years.
4. Improved employee efficiency and output.
5. Blood sugar returns to normal after meals faster when you spend more time standing.
6. Potentially less risk of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and cancer – especially breast and colon cancers.
While Standing Desks may take some getting used to, studies show no impact on characters typed per minute or typing errors while using one.
Here are a few tips to consider when adapting to a Standing Desk:
1. Alternate between sitting and standing, especially at first, until you acclimate. Slowly increase your time standing until you are standing 3/4 of your work day, or more!
2. Adjust your desk and screen for your height. Your desk should align with your elbows, while the top of the screen should be at eye level.
3. Change your keyboard and mouse position, especially if using a laptop on your Standing Desk.
4. Use arm supports attached to your desk to help with neck and shoulder problems.
5. Purchase an anti-fatigue mat
6. Remember to take breaks! Many studies over the years have shown that the average human’s attention span is best between 50-60 minutes. This is why most classes in schools are limited to that amount of time. This remains important even using a Standing Desk.
Most employers are aware of the benefits of Standing Desks. They are affordable nowadays, so you may even want one at home. If you need a recommendation letter for a Standing Desk, Dr. Jellum will be happy to provide you with one.